[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup: November - December 2022

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:03:14 PST 2023

Hi Tweets,

We ended the year with 190 species for the 2022 year list. Here are the new species for November and December:

Herring Gull (code 4), 1 photographed on the waterfront, 11-5-22.

Iceland Gull (code 4), 1 photographed on the waterfront, 11-5–22.

Swamp Sparrow (code 5), at the Edmonds marsh, 11-30-22 through 12-31-22. First detected a week earlier but not reported.

Townsend’s Solitaire (code 4), in a birder’s yard in the Edmonds Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 12-16-22 through 12-31-22.

Very late entry: Ruddy Ducks (code 3) were seen on the Edmonds side of Lake Ballinger 1-7-22.

Other Activity: Probably the most interesting species activity this past year was the continuing presence of Brown Pelicans (code 4) along the Edmonds waterfront. First noted on 6-11-22, anywhere from 1-4 birds were reported over a five month period. There was one report of 5 pelicans. The last eBird report was of 1 bird on 12-1-22. For a species that is usually seen as a single fly-by on Puget Sound, these birds that spent a lot of time at rest on the marina breakwaters were local celebrities. A Great Horned Owl (code 4) was heard calling in the Seaview neighborhood 12-5-22.

While there was a November report of 3 Long-tailed Ducks, there was no description of any field marks. As I said in the October Roundup, with species that have become rarer over the years, we will not add them to the year list without some description of field marks or photograph.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field for unusual Edmonds birds, it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2022 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through December. I will post the 2023 checklist at the end of January.

Happy new year,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records