[Tweeters] Waterville Plateau and OK Highlands this week

Jon Houghton jonbirder at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 21:22:46 PST 2023

Hi Tweets - Just a quick note, in case any of you are heading over this way soon: Yesterday, Kathleen and I headed over Stevens Pass (no prob), up over Badger Mtn. (no prob, lovely, but no significant birds) to the Waterville Plateau. Not much to report along Rt. 2 except the usual Horned Larks, a Northern Shrike, and one Rough-legged Hawk, all the way to Atkins Lake. We headed north on M Rd, hoping to head up Heritage Rd. but that was unplowed. We followed the plowed route south on Road 1 past the first (only) farm about a mile to the area where we had seen a Snowy Owl last year. Nothing there, but continuing along to the east, we crested a rise and spooked up a very large white bird that flew north over the fields to roost on a rock pile - a Snowy!! Continuing on east the road turns back to the south, passes another farm and then rises a bit through more sage than wheat. I had just opined that this looked like a good place for Gray Partridge as we rounded a bend, and there were 6 of 'em right in the road. Very few birds from there, back east on US 2 to SR 172 north, with a quick detour through beautiful downtown Withrow where we found a few trees adorned with quite a few Cal. Quail. From there north to Bridgeport Hill Rd. and down to Brewster (very sad route since the fire), we saw no birds except maybe a BB Magpie and a Raven or two. Bridgeport St. Park was disappointing - could not find any owls, but did have a flyover of a Golden Eagle and a nice look at another RL Hawk. Overnight in Omak.

Today, we went north and east up into the Okanogan Highlands. There were many (>100) Chukar with the cattle on Fancher Road. From there, we headed up Siwash Cr. Rd. looking hard for Sharp-tailed Grouse. We saw very few birds and no Grouse until we got above the canyon to where the valley, and water birch broaden out. There we first saw a couple of grouse in some birch, quickly followed by the realization that there were many about. At least 20 took to the air as soon as I got out of the car. (Note: the car is a great blind, and a lot warmer than outside!). We continued along Siwash to the north over toward Havilla with only a heard-only Red Crossbill flock to put on the list - a far cry from our usual findings along this route!. On Havilla Rd., up to the Sno Park, and back to Havilla Rd. up to Nealy Rd. - nothing but a few ravens and BB Magpie; not even a Rock Pigeon at the several farms along the way. The Nealy Rd feeders had a lot of Juncos and a few RW blackbirds, but not much else we could see. Same for all the way to Chesaw, where we had a pretty good lunch at the Chesaw Tavern - any birders heading that way should plan that stop to support the local economy (closed Monday).