[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 1/4/2023

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:46:31 PST 2023

Hi Tweets

approximately thirty of us had a very nice first walk of the year with
temperatures in the 30's to 40's degree Fahrenheit. There was a Low 8.7ft
Tide at 10:41am and a High 12.10ft Tide at 2:47pm. Highlights included
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD foraging from sapsucker holes in the bark of a Pear
Tree, NORTHERN SHRIKE in the flooded fields south of the Twin Barns, BARRED
OWL along the west side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail, EURASIAN WIGEON in
the surg plain, all three falcons - AMERICAN KESTREL/MERLIN/PEREGRINE
hunting the delta, a continuing one legged WESTERN SANDPIPER foraging on
the saltwater side of the dike near the entrance to the Nisqually Estuary
Boardwalk Trail, and RING-NECKED PHEASANT near where the Access Road
intersects with the Nisqually Estuary Trail or new dike. The Refuge
Biologists were performing a monthly survey and we heard a Short-eared Owl
was flushed from the freshwater marsh, but were unable to relocate the bird.

Meeting at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook, we continue to have nice looks
of RING-NECKED DUCK and BUFFLEHEAD. HOODED MERGANSERS were also seen
flying around the pond.

The Orchard was good for RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and PILEATED WOODPECKER.
We had a nice time enjoying the ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDs feeding from the
sapsucker holes in the bark of the Pear Tree near the Tech Building. There
was a nice sized flock of AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, approximately 50, feeding in
the Alder Trees.

The flooded fields along the Access Road were good for all waterfowl. The
CACKLING GEESE usually fly out of the Refuge in the morning and return in
the evening after spending the day foraging in the agricultural fields
south of the Refuge and I5. The NORTHERN SHRIKE made a nice showing in the
Willow Tree in the middle of the flooded field just south of the old
McAllister Creek Access Road.

I suspect a BARRED OWL flushed from the Evergreens along the Entrance Road
at the start of our walk. We finally had great looks of the Owl along the
west side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail just north of the Access Road
crossover. A pair of HAIRY WOODPECKERS have been foraging in the Maple
Trees around the Twin Barns for the last 2-3 weeks.

Some of our group spotted a EURASIAN WIGEON in the surg plain. An
Intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER was spotted as well. With the tidal push we
had nice looks of waterfowl and shorebirds. GADWALL are most regularly
seen in the surg plain. A pair of BALD EAGLE were working on the nest
adjacent to Nisqually River. Shorebirds collect along the west side of
Leschi Slough on the tidal mudflats where we had nice looks of LEAST
SANDPIPER, DUNLIN and GREATER YELLOWLEGS. A one-legged WESTERN SANDPIPER
has continued near the entrance of the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail
loosely associated with LESA. We enjoyed all three falcons, AMERICAN
KESTREL/MERLIN/PEREGRINE, hunting the delta. There are several WESTERN
MEADOWLARK wintering in the grassy areas of the marsh. GREAT BLUE HERON,
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, MARSH WREN and LINCOLN'S
SPARROW were all seen along the dike.

The Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail was good for COMMON GOLDENEYE,
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, SURF SCOTER, HORNED GREBE and COMMON LOON. We had
nice looks at all the expected gulls. Jon spotted a CALIFORNIA GULL on our
return.

Wayne located a RING-NECKED PHEASANT near the intersection between the
Nisqually Estuary Trail and the Access Road. We have occasionally had this
species on the Refuge before, however there is a hunting club further up
the valley and small farms that raise a variety of game birds near the
Refuge.

The Nisqually River Overlook was good for COMMON MERGANSER.

We observed 75 species for the day. Mammals seen included Eastern
Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Coyote, Harbor Seal, California Sea Lion and Steller
Sea Lion.

Until next week, Happy New Year and happy birding.

Shep
--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jan 4, 2023 7:29 AM - 4:18 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.699 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Cloudy with temperatures in the
30’s to 40’s degree Fahrenheit. Light breeze from the north. A Low 8.7ft
Tide at 10:41am and a High 12.10ft Tide at 2:47pm. Mammals seen Eastern
Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Coyote, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Harbor Seal,
California Sea Lion, Steller Sea Lion.
75 species (+8 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (minima) 400
Canada Goose 12
Northern Shoveler 250
Gadwall 25
Eurasian Wigeon 1
American Wigeon 750
Mallard 175
Northern Pintail 400
Green-winged Teal 600
Ring-necked Duck 12
Surf Scoter 22
White-winged Scoter 15
Bufflehead 200
Common Goldeneye 40
Hooded Merganser 3
Common Merganser 6
Red-breasted Merganser 30
Ring-necked Pheasant 1
Horned Grebe 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 18
Anna's Hummingbird 4
American Coot 70
Dunlin 300
Least Sandpiper 100
Western Sandpiper 1 Previously reported. One legged WESA loosely
associated with LESA. Seen along the salt water side of the Nisqually
Estuary Trail just before the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail. Observed
for 5-10 minutes foraging at 100-200 feet with binos and scopes.
White-throated light headed peep with long decurved bill. Slightly larger
than area LESA.
Greater Yellowlegs 15
Pigeon Guillemot 1
Short-billed Gull 50
Ring-billed Gull 50
California Gull 1
Glaucous-winged Gull 3
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 12
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 12
Larus sp. 75
Red-throated Loon 2
Common Loon 2
Brandt's Cormorant 9
Double-crested Cormorant 12
cormorant sp. 2
Great Blue Heron 14
Northern Harrier 3
Cooper's Hawk 2
Bald Eagle 10
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Barred Owl 1
Belted Kingfisher 3
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 3
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) 1
American Kestrel 1
Merlin 1
Peregrine Falcon 2
Northern Shrike 1