[Tweeters] RFI SE AZ

stan willey steamboatwilleys at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 21:16:57 PST 2023

Nadine, I hope you have a wonderful trip.  Irene and I have spent 2-3 weeks in Sierra Vista in winter for the past dozen years or so.  It's a great area.Gilbert Water Park is a great choice, also Chandler's Veteran Oasis Park is just S of Gilbert, you can easily do them both in a day.In Tucson, Sweetwater Wetlands Park is good; Sweetwater Preserve is also but a lot more hiking.  On the other side of town, Agua Caliente Park is very nice with mixed habitat.Southeast of that, I would agree that San Pedro House near Sierra Vista is a must; also Ash Canyon House run by Tucson Audubon.  That's the late Mary Jo Ballator's place, the locals still refer to it as "Mary Jo's".  While there, you can probably talk to Tim, who was at Malheur when the thugs took it over.  If anything's happening, Tim will know it.  Also while you're there, you might call Tony Battiste at Battiste BB&B.  Tony will let you sit in his garden and see the birds.  You can check out Battiste BB&B on the web.  A fine, gracious, man, Tony also will know what's happening.Based on the limits of your trip, I would forget all three canyons on Fort Huachuca (Garden, Sheelite, and Huachuca).  They are a lot of work and results come slowly.  It's been quite cold down there this winter and I didn't hear of anyone getting a trogon, and a Mexican spotted owl probably would require that you have a guide to find where one is these days.  Madera Canyon on the other side of the mountains is also very good, but Paton's (also operated by Tucson Audubon) in Patagonia is the best choice by far of the places on the Green Valley side.  Do Paton's first, then the Nature Conservancy as your schedule permits. I am not crazy about the N.C.; check with the volunteer at Paton's for any rarities or significant sightings in the area.
Happy Trails, you've got your work cut out for you!Stan