[Tweeters] SE Arizona trip

dick dick at dkporter.net
Fri Feb 24 23:40:07 PST 2023

SEAZ Great choice for a very birdy vacation#1 Check ebird Rare Bird Alerts for Pima, Santa Cruz and Cochise counties just before you go - you may be able to see some high-value rarities.Day 1 Gilbert Riparian - yes. Boyce-Thompson is wonderful botanical but better birding at Tuscon's Sweetwater Preserve. Day 2/3 Less time in Mountains. Include San Pedro House and Ash Canyon site. Only 1 of Garden, Huachuca and Scheelite canyons but make Elegant Trojan a priority if its being seen while you are there.Ramsey Canyon good, add Ash Canyon and, if time,, Miller Canyon trail.Day 4 Near Patagonia the State Park is an absolute must and also is Paton House. Rest Stop or Nature Conservancy if time. Day 5 Madera Canyon is right on. If time check Canon Preserve ParkHave funDick Porter Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: N D <drisseq.n at gmail.com> Date: 2/24/23 9:16 PM (GMT-08:00) To: tweeters at u.washington.edu Subject: [Tweeters] SE Arizona trip Hi tweeters!I am simply OVERWHELMED by how many sites and hotspots there are tovisit in SE Arizona. Can someone who really knows the area please tellme which ones to go to. (I won't post my vacation dates to the list.)I have never been before so any birds endemic or migrating to SE AZincluding rarities will be lifers (unless it's a Harris' Sparrow).I'm reading as much as I can and it seems as though you'd have tospend months there to see all the great hotspots - wow, but I betthere are maybe 5-10 "absolute must visit" sites for a 4.5 dayvacation. I appreciate that I can't see it all at once but I can try:). I will probably return for another vacation there later on butthis is all I can do right now.Day 1:Arrive at 11am in Phoenix and get birding!Riparian Preserve at Gilbert Water RanchBoyce Thompson ArboretumDay 2Ramsey CanyonGarden CanyonDay 3Scheelite Canyon TrailHuachuca Canyon .Day 4Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve / Patagonia PIcnic areaDay 5 Madera Canyon then return to Tuscon Flight departs 4pmI've booked flights starting with a Phoenix arrival and a Tuscondeparture. This is because most flights on my airline seem to have a 6hour layover (I'm using rewards and going via AA) and so I just wantto know, am I covering all my bases regarding seeing as many lifers aspossible by visiting these sites?I've researched using google searches and web resources, and ebird.orgfor the time of year I'm going but I would be thrilled to see a lot ofthese birds. I can't seem to find any kindle books for the area. Iwould buy one otherwise.Also wondering if this itinerary is DO-ABLE for someone who isdefinitely not 21 anymore? :)I am also checking in to see if anyone knows any airbnb's or hotels tostay which have SOFT beds. I cannot sleep on firm beds at all. So ANYhelp there, greatly appreciated. (I will bring a pillowtop or threebut sometimes they make it worse.) (BTW It doesn't help to call theseplaces, they will tell you what they think you want to hear regardlessof what your needs are. The best I can do is look at reviews but folksjust say the bed was ocmfy and that can mean ANYTHING to anyone.)Thank you so much in helping an old broken, bird travel. I haven'tbeen anywhere for 3 years.Nadine._______________________________________________Tweeters mailing listTweeters at u.washington.eduhttp://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/tweeters