[Tweeters] SE Arizona trip

N D drisseq.n at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 21:14:25 PST 2023

Hi tweeters!

I am simply OVERWHELMED by how many sites and hotspots there are to
visit in SE Arizona. Can someone who really knows the area please tell
me which ones to go to. (I won't post my vacation dates to the list.)
I have never been before so any birds endemic or migrating to SE AZ
including rarities will be lifers (unless it's a Harris' Sparrow).

I'm reading as much as I can and it seems as though you'd have to
spend months there to see all the great hotspots - wow, but I bet
there are maybe 5-10 "absolute must visit" sites for a 4.5 day
vacation. I appreciate that I can't see it all at once but I can try

:). I will probably return for another vacation there later on but

this is all I can do right now.

Day 1:
Arrive at 11am in Phoenix and get birding!
Riparian Preserve at Gilbert Water RanchBoyce Thompson Arboretum

Day 2
Ramsey Canyon
Garden Canyon

Day 3
Scheelite Canyon Trail
Huachuca Canyon .

Day 4
Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve / Patagonia PIcnic area

Day 5 Madera Canyon then return to Tuscon Flight departs 4pm

I've booked flights starting with a Phoenix arrival and a Tuscon
departure. This is because most flights on my airline seem to have a 6
hour layover (I'm using rewards and going via AA) and so I just want
to know, am I covering all my bases regarding seeing as many lifers as
possible by visiting these sites?

I've researched using google searches and web resources, and ebird.org
for the time of year I'm going but I would be thrilled to see a lot of
these birds. I can't seem to find any kindle books for the area. I
would buy one otherwise.

Also wondering if this itinerary is DO-ABLE for someone who is
definitely not 21 anymore? :)

I am also checking in to see if anyone knows any airbnb's or hotels to
stay which have SOFT beds. I cannot sleep on firm beds at all. So ANY
help there, greatly appreciated. (I will bring a pillowtop or three
but sometimes they make it worse.) (BTW It doesn't help to call these
places, they will tell you what they think you want to hear regardless
of what your needs are. The best I can do is look at reviews but folks
just say the bed was ocmfy and that can mean ANYTHING to anyone.)

Thank you so much in helping an old broken, bird travel. I haven't
been anywhere for 3 years.

Nadine.