[Tweeters] the almost crepuscular thrush

Hal Opperman hal at catharus.net
Mon Feb 13 12:18:29 PST 2023

Bicknell’s Thrush also goes beyond crepuscular, singing on into the late evening. On June 4, 1995, as part of a quick New England expedition to see three soon-to-be new splits, Bob Morse and I found ourselves part way up the Mt. Washington toll road in New Hampshire in can’t-see-your-hand-in-front-of your face darkness, in good krummholz habitat. Over a stretch of road between mileposts 3 and 4 past the toll gate we were treated to an estimated thirty birds in full, loud song, for over an hour, well past nightfall under heavy low cloud cover. A few even paraded on the pavement for good flashlight viewing. These bird had probably only arrived over the previous week or ten days and had not yet settled down to nest, making for a very special, and especially memorable, choral life-bird experience.

By the way we also found the Nelson’s and Saltmarsh Sparrows on their breeding grounds, and published a little finding guide for all three species in the ABA’s "Winging It" newsletter. My copy’s in a box somewhere in a storage unit, and the typescript still on my computer is in some no longer openable runic version of Word. The newsletter archive is accessible, and searchable, online at the ABA website (members only), if anyone wants to see more details.

Hal Opperman
Seattle