[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co.) 2023-02-02 [ ... for Michael Hobbs ]

Elaine Chuang elc at uw.edu
Fri Feb 3 18:37:31 PST 2023

Tweets - It was a gorgeous day for our Imbolc/Groundhogs Day visit this morning. Sunrise was stunning! This being February, it wasn't terribly birdy today, but it wasn't boring and dull either. Once the morning freeze warmed up a bit, it was a real delight to walk around.

Highlights:
Cooper's Hawk - juvenile at NW corner of Pea Patch all morning, adult seen from boardwalk
Great Horned Owl - calling continuously from SE part of park pre-dawn. About 6:45 a.m., it made its way NE towards the mansion
Merlin - One atop tall fir NE of the mansion. First of Year (FOY)
Hermit Thrush - One just south of Dog Area on slough trail (FOY)
Varied Thrush - Probably two birds, one a gorgeous male, near the windmill
Purple Finch - Twice observed flocks of ~5 birds, at least one bird singing
Yellow-rumped Warbler - At least three (all "Myrtle" type) at Rowing Club ponds (FOY)
A late scan of the lake turned up our only RING-BILLED GULL and about three HORNED GREBES in the NE corner of the lake.

Misses today included American Wigeon, Short-billed Gull, and Marsh Wren.

Several times, Matt or I thought we heard or saw House Finch, but I'm not sure any of those instances was sure enough to put them on today's list, and thus House Finch is also a Miss. Once, I was almost positive I heard one call of an American Goldfinch, but nothing more was seen/heard. So, we definitely had Purple Finch, plus one or two individuals of one or two other finch species. Sometimes birding can be frustrating.

Yesterday, though, Mark and Lee had HOUSE FINCH and a LINCOLN'S SPARROW, both in the Pea Patch I believe

So for the day, 55 species, and for the week, at least 57.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com <mailto:BirdMarymoor at gmail.com>
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jRcPyJfaf02LW-KgconM9B6pazu80EtMpaQN5Cr7ZbsrNxBwH1nm3Sh8ANvi5jPgKEXtt4GkuFz2Az3lT10$>