[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 12-15-2022

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Dec 16 16:28:00 PST 2022

Tweeters,

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC didn't warm up very much (30degF-38degF) at all for the seven stalwarts that made the birdwalk on Thursday. However, the gorgeously bright day gave us a nice way to finish out the year.

Few species today, but two were real standouts for the sheer numbers: MOURNING DOVE - 45 - these were all at the powerline corridor looking toward the Dupont housing area opposite the 16th tee and in two bare deciduous trees, many to a branch. (A couple of AMERICAN ROBIN were mixed in with this grouping.) VARIED THRUSH - 27 - all but two on the fairway on the 13th hole near the green. We hadn't seen anything feeding on the fairways all day (as noted by several folks), so when we came to this hole we were amazed by all the "AMERICAN ROBINS" in the distance. We thought we had four VARIED THRUSH mixed in with the "robins." Then, KS said "Look again. Those are Varied Thrushes." "Get a scope on those!" Sure enough, we had the largest flock of Varied Thrushes feeding on the fairway that any of us had ever seen. Simply spectacular!

The 9th hole pond continues to be a great place to start "real birding" at Eagles Pride: RING-NECKED DUCK, AMERICAN WIDGEON, BUFFLEHEAD, and GADWALL were all there, and in goodly numbers. (See list.) Hodge Lake added more MALLARD and our first HOODED MERGANSER (7).

All in all, a fine walk today despite the paucity of species.

FOR JANUARY AND FEBRUARY, THE MEETING TIME WILL CHANGE FOR THE JBLM EAGLES PRIDE BIRDWALK (SEE BELOW):

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 9:00AM (For January and February ONLY). Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* January 19 (Start 9am)

* February 16 (Start 9am)

* March 16 (Start at 8am)

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBirdPNW report:

26 species

Canada Goose 35 Flyover

Gadwall 2 9th hole pond

American Wigeon 27 19 at 9th hole pond

Mallard 12

Ring-necked Duck 10 9th hole pond

Bufflehead 5 Three at 9th hole pond; 2 and Hodge Lake

Hooded Merganser 7 All at Hodge Lake

Mourning Dove 45 All on two bare deciduous trees north of the powerline corridor south of the Dupont housing area. (West of the 16th tee.) This is an estimated count, which could have been a bit higher.

Glaucous-winged Gull 1 Seen flying north past the powerline corridor while we were scoping out the Mourning Doves.

Great Blue Heron 1 At usual place near 12th hole pond. (Possibly same heron seen at Hodge Lake.)

Northern Flicker 10

Steller's Jay 5

California Scrub-Jay 1

American Crow 120

Black-capped Chickadee 22

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 7

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1

Golden-crowned Kinglet 10

Red-breasted Nuthatch 30

Brown Creeper 1 On large (many of these here) Douglas-fir to north of road next to 17th tee.

Pacific Wren 2

Varied Thrush 27 (See "Comments.") 25 were on the fairway near the green of the 13th hole. Two were on the fairway of the 14th hole.

American Robin 18

Dark-eyed Junco 25

Song Sparrow 9

Spotted Towhee 3

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS124071972&data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca3c230ee7138420c8fc608dadfc46bae%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638068331967769324%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ekERvsO9J77srh233mDSvE8RARtEL0VIfLOmCGyDHKU%3D&reserved=0

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com