[pccgrads] APL Seminar Monday April 1st 10am --Kee Onn Fong -- Particle-turbulence interaction from a basement lab to the open ocean

PROGRAM ON CLIMATE CHANGE via pccgrads pccgrads at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 28 14:23:02 PDT 2024

Kee Onn Fong is a finalist for the APL Science + Engineering Enrichment + Development (SEED) Postdoctoral Fellowship and will be giving a seminar on Monday April 1st at 10am in the APL Henderson Hall Commons. The Henderson Hall commons are open to anyone at UW, no badge required. The Eastern doorway to Handerson will be open from 9:30 am onward and the Commons are just to your right when you walk in the building. Feel free to contact me with access questions. Refreshments (coffee and pastries) will be served prior to the seminar -- please come socialize before the seminar.

Title: Particle-turbulence interaction from a basement lab to the open ocean

Time/location: Monday April 1st, 10am. Henderson Commons

Remote option: https://washington.zoom.us/j/98270702375?pwd=Q3JTbDMwZ09HOXZTZjlXVnZmY0Fpdz09<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://washington.zoom.us/j/98270702375?pwd=Q3JTbDMwZ09HOXZTZjlXVnZmY0Fpdz09__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!kRCuQaF9oXYkKTPpXBTRJ3BNuXVPwnKeyqrHZdkvHkQIGilDJ6YaQzZbVwDkTWNLLOS1XdCsb2f4Y9RqKwqFm7YH$>

Passcode: 284048

Abstract

The transport of dispersed particles by fluid flows is ubiquitous in many environmental processes; featuring rich physics that gives rise to large-scale coherent structures from seemingly random particle motions. In turbulent boundary layers, particles interact with turbulence to form areas of higher concentration, and with near-wall structures to form streaks. In my talk, I will present findings, challenges, and insights from an experimental study of inertial particles in a vertical, turbulent air channel. Using imaging techniques like particle tracking velocimetry and statistical tools like radial distribution functions, I will show our approach to quantify and characterize the particle streaks and clusters that were observed. An important observation is how the collective effects of particle clustering affect the fluid phase, which I will connect to similar processes in other multiphase flows, such as methane bubbles seeping from the ocean floor. I will conclude by discussing how particle shapes also impact particle-turbulence interactions, and implications on marine processes such as the transport of dissolving particles in the presence of wave turbulence and Stokes drift.