[pccgrads] Fwd: Fresh Eyes on CMIP launch announcement

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Tue May 2 08:30:23 PDT 2023

------------------------------
*From:* CMIP-IPO <CMIP-IPO at esa.int>
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 2, 2023 8:05:52 AM
*Subject:* Fresh Eyes on CMIP launch announcement

We are delighted to announce the launch of a new working group: *Fresh Eyes
on CMIP
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/fresh-eyes-on-cmip__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4VINVWL4$>*.
This working group will diversify the voices influence the design of CMIP
in current and future phases.

Researchers, scientists, and practitioners early in their career provide a
unique insight into climate science, have the potential to offer a fresh
perspective on CMIP and have historically been underrepresented in the CMIP
governance teams. ECRs* regularly undertake the often time-consuming task
of generating, downloading, processing, and analysing data from CMIP and
have a unique, working insight into the successes and flaws of CMIP phases.

Fresh Eyes on CMIP will be a new working group comprised of scientists,
researchers, and practitioners in the early stages of their careers to sit
alongside the *CMIP7 task teams*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/cmip7-task-teams/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4zXhBZQA$>.
Fresh Eyes on CMIP will also work to significantly increase collaborations
with scientists working in the global south.
*ECR Definition

Whilst many different definitions of ECRs exist, we want to emphasise that
identification of career stage differs greatly across different people’s
careers. Therefore, our definition of early career researchers (ECRs) are
master and PhD students, researchers, and practitioners are simply those
who are in the early stages of their career. Typical definitions of ECRs
suggest this period is within seven years of obtaining their highest degree
(excluding career breaks). We will not impose this strict time definition
but include it for reference. Application is open to all scientists,
researchers, and practitioners in the early stages of their career.
Practitioners are those working at the interface of society, policy,
practice, and research.
Objectives of the group

Whilst the individual proposal topics from Fresh Eyes on CMIP will be led
by the group members once in place, the overarching aims of the group are to

1. Integrate the voices of scientists early in the career into CMIP to
provide an invaluable working insight into the generation, access, and
analysis of CMIP data,
2. Engage ECRs in the broader scientific and research community
intersecting academia, NGOs, private sector, and Governmental institutions,
3. Work with the *CMIP International Project Office*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/project-office/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4xnUqxpQ$>
(IPO)
on identifying avenues for reducing the carbon footprint of CMIP.,
4. Act as liaison contacts for the *CMIP7 Task Teams*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/cmip7-task-teams/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4zXhBZQA$>
, *CMIP Panel*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/cmip-panel/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4SY-A9xg$>,
and *WGCM Infrastructure Panel *
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/wgcm-infrastructure-panel-wip/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4KicN1cU$>
(WIP) and submit proposals to the panels when suitable

How to apply

Application to the Fresh Eyes on CMIP group are now open, and will remain
open for one month until 2nd June 2023. Application requires filling in a
short form which asks for a statement of experience and statement of
motivation.

>From the membership applications received, we will also be searching for

two co-leads for the group. Please indicate if you are particularly
interested in being a co-lead.

We are always trying to improve our way of working to be more inclusive and
equal. Solving problems as difficult as those in climate science requires
having representation of all voices at the table. We therefore encourage
applications from all who are interested, regardless of background, gender,
nationality, or seniority. We also encourage applications from all who are
interested, no amount of experience with CMIP is too small!

Access the full call text by *following this link*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Fresh-Eyes-on-CMIP-Membership-call-May-2023.pdf__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4oZKJL9U$>
.

Access the application form on the *Fresh Eyes on CMIP webpage*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wcrp-cmip.org/fresh-eyes-on-cmip/*membership-call__;Iw!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4dXrytrw$>
.

*We are really excited about this new initiative and would like the
opportunity to be extended as widely as possible. Therefore, please could
you share this across your networks to ensure all who are interested have
the opportunity to apply.*

HE Space for ESA - European Space Agency

WCRP CMIP International Project Office

European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications,

Fermi Avenue, Harwell Science & Innovation Campus, OX11 0FD, United Kingdom
cmip-ipo at esa.int| www.wcrp-cmip.org
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.wcrp-cmip.org/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA489OQWVA$>

www.esa.int
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.esa.int/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4aDB42Xw$>

Follow us on Twitter
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/wcrpcmip__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4ugqw2mo$>,
YouTube
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/@cmipcoupledmodelintercompa6582__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA4F39PrFI$>
and
LinkedIn
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/company/wcrp-cmip__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hKdYfkMxE9IHJMHPlfONmEjd9FV64xQFwXtffV_6ahqwFwRm6bpMwwRVW-GCLnqYA7H7VrA45UDqFLI$>

 [image: h9cFYW4UWFtcAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==]

The University of Washington acknowledges the Coast Salish peoples of this
land, the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands
within the Suquamish, Tulalip and Muckleshoot nations."

@uwpcc pcc.uw.edu uwpcc at uw.edu