[pccgrads] Today! [ATM S 523] Price on "Climate Justice in Undergraduate STEM Incorporating Civic Engagement"

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon May 23 13:12:48 PDT 2022

*Who:* Heather Price (North Seattle College)

*Time/Date:* Monday May 23rd at 3:30pm

*Location:* in person at ATG 310 & streamed over zoom:
https://washington.zoom.us/j/91885149624

*Title: *Climate Justice in Undergraduate STEM Incorporating Civic
Engagement

*Abstract: *Our students learn about climate change from the news and in
many of our classes, and they want to know what to do with that knowledge
and how to connect it within their careers and communities. Many faculty
want to heed this call from our students and incorporate climate justice
and civic engagements into our courses. This presentation will provide an
overview of a climate justice faculty professional development (PD)
curriculum that incorporates community and civic engagement across the STEM
curriculum, with examples of curriculum developed by faculty at University
of Washington, North Seattle, and Bellevue Colleges. The faculty PD
curriculum was developed at Bellevue College by Sonya Remington Doucette in
2018 and adopted by North Seattle College under the leadership of Heather
Price in 2019, forming a collaboration between the institutions that led to
a successful NSF IUSE grant that is currently underway. In 2021, the PD
curriculum was adopted by University of Washington and will continue thanks
to a three-year internal grant, under the leadership of Alex Turner. This
presentation will describe the faculty PD curriculum, the goals of the
C-JUSTICE NSF IUSE project, and will include preliminary findings from year
one of the project.

--
"The University of Washington acknowledges the Coast Salish peoples of this
land, the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands

@uwpcc pcc.uw.edu uwpcc at uw.edu