[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, May 18, 2024

Bruce LaBar via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon May 20 15:02:39 PDT 2024

A brief early morning shower greeted 18 birders as we boarded the Monte Carlo. Birders from Michigan, Colorado, Oregon and of course, Washington, enjoyed a fabulous day at sea. The weather cooperated with just a few showers, cloudy skies and good sea conditions. May, is a great time to see many breeding plumage seabirds heading north, such as Pacific Loons, Red-necked and Red Phalaropes, Sabine’s Gulls and Arctic and Common Terns. Indeed, we saw these plus many of the sought after shearwaters, albatross and other pelagic birds.

Probably the highlight of the day, for most of the seafarers, was the dolphin show! As we got near the continental shelf, we noticed the water bubbling in the distance. Motoring towards that area we were surrounded by 300 or more Pacific White-sided Dolphins actively feeding and showing off with body slams coming out of the water. With them were 2 small fur seals trying their best to swim like the dolphins. We also saw 6 Humpback Whales at a distance with several observers seeing one breech out of the water.

The bird highlights included a somewhat early South Polar Skua, great looks at a Manx Shearwater, a Flesh-footed Shearwater, a Short-tailed Shearwater and those fore-mentioned breeding Arctic breeders. Here are some of the species and numbers recourted.

Black-footed Albatross-52, Pink-footed Shearwater-183, Sooty Shearwater-1785, Fork-tailed Storm Petrels-82, Brown Pelican-621, Red-necked Phalaropes-252, Red Phalaropes-15, Pomarine Jaeger-1, Parasitic Jaeger-4, Black-legged Kittiwake-1, Heermann’s Gull-2, Sabine’s Gull-132, Arctic Tern-8 and Common Tern-9.

For a complete list of all the sightings and numbers, plus any other information about the pelagic trips, please visit this website, www.westportseabirds.com.

Spotters for this trip were Bill Tweit, Scott Mills and myself. Boat personnel and spotters were Captain Phil Anderson and first mate Chris Anderson. Thanks to all for making this such a great trip!

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, Wa.