Matt Bartels via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu May 9 15:27:08 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets -
With Michael out of town today, it fell on the rest of us to suffer through a beautiful spring day at Marymoor Park.
Our hopes were high - this is historically about the best week of the year for Marymoor’s walk, in terms of total # of species reported - almost anything could show up this time of year. While it was birdy and enjoyable all day, we ended up without any big rarities or surprises.

Highlights:
Swainson’s Thrush are back - several heard whitting, one song heard pre-dawn [FOY]
6 warbler species - Yellow-rumped numbers are thinning out, but we had several Yellow Warblers [FOY], 2 Wilson’s Warblers, a few Black-throated Gray Warblers [at the Rowing Club], a few Orange-crowned and many Common Yellowthroats.
Cedar Waxwing - although we had some over the winter, this appeared to be our first of the summer Cedars
Black-headed Grosbeak & Warbling Vireos - several singing away, some of each even glimpsed.
Western Tanager - two over at the Rowing Club spared us from totally missing an expected bird for this week.
Golden-crowned Sparrow - still a few left in the park.
Misses include many departed [presumably] winter birds - no Bufflehead, Ring-necked Ducks, or Am. Wigeon. Also missed any of the hoped for flycatchers

For the day, 60 species

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA