[Tweeters] Inclusion in Birding

Roger Craik via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 26 23:21:12 PDT 2024

All

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln

You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people
all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time.

Sounds to me like there's going to be a lot of displeased people along
with a ton of people who don't really care for what ever reason. So just
how many people are going to be really pleased by this exercise in
inclusivity and respectfulness? At least until they have to run out and
buy new birding books.

On 2024-06-26 2:46 p.m., Aadu Prakash via Tweeters wrote:

> "Human beings at the AOS have committed their time, money, and

> resources toward this endeavor for the last several years. They’ve

> clearly stated an intention to actively involve the public in the

> process of selecting new bird names, as well as including a diverse

> representation of individuals with expertise in the social sciences,

> communications, ornithology, and taxonomy."

"These people are actively trying to "terraform" our birding community
in a way that is *inclusive and respectful to us all*. They should be
supported, not shot down. Otherwise things will largely stay the same".

--
Roger Craik
Maple Ridge BC