[Tweeters] LET'S NOT BREAK UP OVER THIS!

Teresa Michelsen via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 26 10:15:30 PDT 2024

I too enjoy the debate most of the time, except when it gets too personal.

There is something I wanted to add from the perspective of a newer birder (I’m not, but not as experienced as many of those in the debate, or who may be deciding in the end). This concept is one that no-one has mentioned, but to me it’s important as, I guess, more of a naturist.

I really enjoy bird names that tell me something about the bird, like its range, or preferred habitat, or coloration, or habits. I don’t get much from a bird (or any other species) named after the person who first described it for western science, although I do know what an honor that is for the person. Mostly I’d just like the bird names to help teach us something interesting about the bird, or maybe something that would help us distinguish it from another bird. As one example, the cisticolas of Africa, which were a particularly difficult challenge for us North Americans – with names like rattling, piping, whistling, chattering, trilling, bubbling, churring, tinkling, rock-loving, tiny, etc. There are so many of these guys and they all look alike, you can almost imagine they were desperate to find some way to differentiate among them!!

I hope that adds to the conversation in a positive way. I too love this list. I feel it’s impossible to avoid the topic but also very possible for us to consider each others’ opinions without maligning the authors.

Teresa Michelsen
Hoodsport, WA