[Tweeters] Stillwater Redstart

Hank Heiberg via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 25 16:08:09 PDT 2024

This morning we searched for the Stillwater American Redstart(s) by parking
at Stillwater and heading out to an area near the Snoqualmie River using
the co-ordinates given on eBird by other birders.

We were not successful. The purpose of this post is to describe the
conditions that we encountered. Once we got into the wooded area where the
Redstarts have been reported the mosquitoes were so bad that we only birded
for a couple of minutes before leaving. We wore long pants and coats with
hoods. We used a non-DEET insect repellent. So we didn’t end up with many
bites, but the mosquitoes were all over us. So annoying that we left.
Neither we nor Merlin heard a Redstart during our brief stay.

Good luck if you head out there.

Hank & Karen Heiberg
Issaquah, WA