[Tweeters] Inappropriate posts - from the thread Amerigo Vespucci

Zora Monster via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 25 11:37:44 PDT 2024

Historically, eponymous names are given to the first person to describe the object, be it animal, plant or other. It is extremely rare that said person is the first to know of, and in a lot of cases deeply know of, that object. Take the birds of North America as an example. We have many species that were given names because someone saw it once, captured and killed it, and then went on to describe it in a book or journal. That same bird was likely found by said person because someone indigenous to the area helped that person find said bird. That indigenous person likely knew far more about that bird, before and after its naming, than the person for whom it was named. Giving an object an eponymous name is colonial in its nature and truly out of step with the way we are, hopefully, beginning to view the world as a whole. It’s time to write that history more accurately. In doing so, we will actually make it easier for future birders to learn names since, hopefully, those names will be more descriptive.

I, for one, can use the mental exercise of learning new names for my favorite birds.

Zora Dermer
Seattle