[Tweeters] Port Townsend area tern colony, avian flu, and rare birds

Steve Hampton via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 21 17:42:34 PDT 2024

First, I'm happy to report that Caspian Terns have returned to Rat Island
off the tip of the Flagler Spit (visible from the Flagler campground).
There are only a few hundred adults, after being decimated by avian flu
last year. There are no signs of avian flu this year, and the birds seem to
be on eggs now.

Some notes on local rarities:

Rock Wren - found by Felicia Sweeney and Harison Klever on June 19, is
still present today, singing away on the cliffs facing the Strait of Juan
de Fuca. This is only the 2nd summer record away from the mountains for the
Olympic Pen. More details regarding access are here (as well as pics and
audio recording: https://ebird.org/checklist/S182924199). In short - it's a
3 mile one-way beach walk at low tide ONLY.

Black-legged Kittiwake - there's been a late 1st cycle gull hanging around;
it has been seen at low tide roosts among other gulls at Pt Wilson, Pt
Hudson, and Flagler spit sandbars.

Red-eyed Vireo - still present and singing at 922 W Uncas Rd near Discovery
Bay. Access details and an audio recording (which you will need to
recognize because the bird sings non-stop but is very shy to be seen) here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S182470695.

There have also been four Lazuli Buntings between Quilcene and Port
Townsend this spring (very rare over here), including one across the street
from the vireo near the bridge over Salmon Creek. However, it has gone
undetected for a while.

Note about Short Farm: We are in the process of working out public access
in the future, as ownership is changing hands. Bird activity is dying down
there as the water dries up. There are now no signs providing guidance on
parking and access. Should you go there, please please please know what
you're doing. I've posted a map under Blue-winged Teal at this checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S182504538. It's also at the Admiralty Audubon
Facebook group. DO NOT PARK at what seems like a parking spot in the middle
of the valley at the T in the road. That's a tractor turning area. Only
park where indicated on the map -- across the valley, or at the little
pullout along Center Rd at milepost 2.0.

Thanks and good birding!

--
Steve Hampton
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)