[Tweeters] Does the term fledge apply to shorebirds?

Peggy Mundy via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:57:48 PDT 2024

This is copied from the eBird FAQs:
If I see baby grouse, baby geese, or baby shorebirds that cannot yet fly, what code should I use?

Use "FL". They are fledged in the sense that they have left the nest, which is typical for the young of “precocial” species. "FL" should be used until young birds become independent of their parents, since it is safe to assume that they are near the nesting site until that point.

peggy_busby at yahoo.com@scenebypeggy on Instagram