[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - May 2024

Carol Riddell via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 13 16:28:26 PDT 2024

Hi Tweeters,

With May additions we have reached 167 species for our 2024 year list. In taxonomic order, the new species are:

Blue-winged Teal (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh (ID photo), 5-15-24

Mourning Dove (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh (ID photo), 5-2-24

Vaux’s Swift (code 3), 2 at Edmonds marsh (field marks described), 5-29-24

Sora (code 5), 1 at Edmonds marsh (whinny heard), 5-21-24

Long-billed Dowitcher (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 5-5-24

Spotted Sandpiper (code 3), 3 at Edmonds marsh (ID photo), 5-27-24

Black-legged Kittiwake (code 4), 1 at waterfront (field marks described), 5-13-24

Heermann’s Gull (code 1), 1 at waterfront, 5-17-24

Olive-sided Flycatcher (code 3), 1 at Yost Park, 5-10-24

Western Wood-Pewee (code 2), 1 at Yost Park and 1 at Edmonds marsh, 5-11-24

California Scrub-Jay (code 4), 2 in Edmonds Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 5-17-24

Townsend’s Solitaire (code 4), Edmonds marsh (ID photo), 5-15-24

Swainson’s Thrush (code 2), 1 at Yost Park , 5-8-2024

Evening Grosbeak (code 3), 1 at a central Edmonds yard, 5-17-24

Yellow-headed Blackbird (code 3), 4 at Edmonds marsh (field marks described), 5-11-24

Nashville Warbler (code 4), 1 in Edmonds Lake Ballinger neighborhood (field marks described), 5-10-24

MacGillivray’s Warbler (code 4), 1 in Edmonds Lake Ballinger neighborhood (field marks described), 5-24-24

Common Yellowthroat (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh (song described), 5-15-24

Yellow Warbler (code 2), 1 at Yost Park, 5-2-2024

Black-headed Grosbeak (code 2), 1 at a north Edmonds yard, 5-7-24.

Lazuli Bunting (code 5), 1 at Edmonds marsh (described), 5-11-24

Late Reports: Green Heron (code 3), Edmonds side of Lake Ballinger, 4-28-24; Cliff Swallow (code 3), Edmonds side of Lake Ballinger, 4-28-24; Brewer’s Blackbird (female) (code 3), Edmonds side of Lake Ballinger, 4-28-24.

Declined species: There were more reports of Ring-billed Gulls, none described or photographed and reports of upwards of six birds at a time. This is an elusive Edmonds species, frequently confused with other gulls and rarely seen as more than a single bird. It does not go on the collective list without evidence of its presence. That continues to be lacking this year. We are also declining to add Bank Swallow (code 4), House Wren (code 4), or Red Crossbill (code 3) to the year list as none of the three species was described, recorded, or photographed. Species that are code 3 or rarer need some evidence to support the tick before we will add it to the collective list.

Of interest: May 10th brought a migration fallout to a couple of homes in the Seaview neighborhood. There were about 30 Western Tanagers and four Black-headed Grosbeaks that lingered for much of the day.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or recordings. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2024 city checklist, with 281 species, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. The 2024 checklist, with sightings through May, is in the bird information box at the Olympic Beach Visitor Station at the base of the public pier.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records