[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 6/12/2024

Shep Thorp via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 12 21:05:58 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets,

Approximately 25 of us had a very nice spring day at the Refuge with mostly
sunny skies and temperatures in the 50's to 60's degrees Fahrenheit. There
was a High 9'2" Tide at 9:51am, and we did our regular walk. Highlights
included RED CROSSBILL in the Cottonwood Trees across the parking lot from
the Education Center, a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE nest in the Cottonwood above the
green gate across the entrance road from the Ed Center, VIRGINIA RAIL in
the Visitor Center Pond, YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD in the freshwater marsh,
five COMMON GOLDENEYE in the Nisqually River, and lots of baby birds to
enjoy.

We observed 75 species for the day. Bert spotted FOY BREWER'S BLACKBIRD in
the Orchard bumping us to 155 species for the year. See eBird pasted below.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am at the Visitor Center Overlook,
happy birding.

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jun 12, 2024 6:38 AM - 4:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.623 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Mostly sunny with temperatures in
the 50’s to 60’s degrees Fahrenheit. A High 9’2” Tide at 9:51am. Mammals
seen Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Townsend’s Chipmunk, Columbian
Black-tailed Deer, Harbor Seal. Other seen Bullfrog, Red-eared Slider,
Pacific Tree Frog.
75 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 45
Wood Duck 25
Blue-winged Teal 2 Flooded field south of Twin Barns.
Cinnamon Teal 3 Flooded field south of Twin Barns.
Gadwall 1
Mallard 50
Northern Pintail 3
Common Goldeneye 6 One observed in Shannon Slough. Five observed in
Nisqually River. Previously reported. Photos.
Hooded Merganser 20
Common Merganser 2 Nisqually River.
Pied-billed Grebe 1 Freshwater marsh
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 12
Mourning Dove 3
Anna's Hummingbird 3 Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Rufous Hummingbird 6
Virginia Rail 2
Sora 1
American Coot 1
Killdeer 1
Wilson's Snipe 1 Calling in freshwater marsh.
Bonaparte's Gull 2
Ring-billed Gull 81
California Gull 80
Glaucous-winged Gull 1
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 1
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 10
Caspian Tern 75
Brandt's Cormorant 5 Channel marker.
Double-crested Cormorant 70
Great Blue Heron 100
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 30 Nest with young across McAllister Creek from the Puget
Sound Observation Tower.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 3
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Western Wood-Pewee 7
Willow Flycatcher 4
Western Flycatcher (Pacific-slope) 2
Warbling Vireo 5
Steller's Jay 2
American Crow 6
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2
Bank Swallow 12 Counted individually foraging over flooded fields and
marsh.
Tree Swallow 30
Violet-green Swallow 1
Purple Martin 2 Gourds at Luhr Beach.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 6
Barn Swallow 30 Nest in visitor center.
Cliff Swallow 30 Nest in Visitor Center.
Bushtit 6
Brown Creeper 4
Pacific Wren 1
Marsh Wren 15
Bewick's Wren 8 Nest under amphitheater of Ed Center.
European Starling 500
Swainson's Thrush 33
American Robin 25
Cedar Waxwing 30
Purple Finch 8
Red Crossbill 14 Across entrance road from Ed Center. North section of
Twin Barns Loop Trail.
American Goldfinch 20
Savannah Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 28
Spotted Towhee 3
Yellow-headed Blackbird 2
Bullock's Oriole 3
Red-winged Blackbird 50
Brown-headed Cowbird 25
Brewer's Blackbird 1 Seen by Bert in Orchard.
Common Yellowthroat 10
Yellow Warbler 30
Wilson's Warbler 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 5