[Tweeters] Motion in Birds

Mark Walton via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 29 09:28:45 PDT 2024

My immediate thought/speculation about the starling murmuration thing is
that it sounds like something that might be a result of the fact that it
takes any brain a certain amount of time to process visual information from
the eyes, determine the appropriate movements to react to what was seen,
and then compute the exact amount of contraction needed for each muscle to
execute the planned action. I would guess that visuo-motor reaction times
in birds are probably MUCH faster than they are in humans but it certainly
wouldn't be instantaneous. If each starling is reacting to the movements of
the most nearby starlings then, for a large flock, these very small
processing delays would add up to something that would be noticeable to us.
The end result would be that birds that are far away from each other in the
flock make direction changes at different times, resulting in the flock
rapidly changing shape.

I'm thinking it might be the same kind of phenomenon as when you're driving
in heavy traffic and you're stopped at a red light with 20 cars in front of
you. The light turns green and it feels like it takes forever for the car
in front of you to get moving - even though every single driver is reacting
fairly quickly. It's just that the visuo-motor processing time ends up
being rather long when the small processing delays for 20 people get added
up.

In a flock of birds I would guess that it would also serve the important
function of possibly confusing a predator. So, maybe it's a case of the
laws of physics and chemistry imposing delays that happen to benefit the
birds?

As an interesting aside, there are some situations in which these
processing delays pose a computational problem, such as when you're using
your eyes to follow a moving object. If you're always 200 ms late in
reacting you won't be able to do it, so the brain employs predictive
algorithms in these situations to compensate for its own processing
delays.

Mark

Ar Luan 29 Iúil 2024 ag 08:51, scríobh Robert O'Brien via Tweeters <