[Tweeters] Rats and bird feeders

susan carmelprop.com via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 27 10:04:24 PDT 2024

Dear tweeters,
I have a couple of tube feeders and a suet feeder on poles in my backyard, around 25 feet from the house. All feeders with cages and squirrel baffles, etc. I’ve seen a rat under the feeders very infrequently- years apart- until now. We have a rat ( just one so far) that has settled in the past couple of days. I’m not happy but not sure if I need to do something drastic like take down the feeders. I’m wondering how problematic this is. Of course rats, along with squirrels and other little mammals, are out there in our backyards, but I dread a rat infestation of any kind. I would love any advice based on knowledge or experience!
Thanks in advance,
Susan Love
Woodway, WA
Sent from my iPhone