[Tweeters] Where Have All the Swallows Gone?

Thomas Dorrance via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 25 17:04:14 PDT 2024

For many years barn swallows have constructed colonies beneath houses and
decks overhanging Lake Washington at about NE 145th Street, Seattle. The
numbers are down in recent years but there are currently about 20,
including the newly fledged. Each year I make sure there's a muddy bank in
my yard for nest building. Not that there's a local shortage of mud - I
just like having them in the yard.
They are harassed on the ground (harmlessly, I believe) by juvenile house
finches and in the air by Anna's. But last year a Sharpie snagged a swallow
and flew off with it alive and screaming. Normally, detection of a predator
brings out the full Swallow Air Force and a virtuosic flying display.
The advent of wakeboard boats, generating waves so big they can slap the
undersides of docks and houses, could spell the end of these otherwise
ideal nesting sites.
We haven't had violet-greens, who used to nest nearby, for at least 10
years.
Tom Dorrance