Michael Hobbs via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 25 14:29:32 PDT 2024

Tweets - Different weather today, with a mostly-unbroken cloud layer above
us. A little cooler, with temps rising only to 63 degrees. Little wind.
Pretty quiet.

Highlights:
Green Heron - Three at weir, probably adult and two juvies
Great Blue Heron - Only one baby seen at the heronry
Osprey - Many sightings, both nests active
Barn Owl - Three seen simultaneously from Viewing Mound, just after 5am
Five Woodpecker Day
Merlin - Many sightings, probably all of the same bird
American Crow - Many in adult/juvie couples with incessant begging
calls from the latter
Tree Swallow - Still one active nest, East Meadow
Purple Martins - Appear to have finished breeding at the gourds
Dark-eyed Junco - Stunning views near the mansion :)
Black-throated Gray Warbler - One in the large Oregon Ash trees
between Dog Meadow and the slough

The MERLIN appeared to spend the whole morning, mostly a bit to the east of
the mansion, chasing and being chased by AMERICAN CROWS. We wondered if
this indicated it was a juvenile Merlin; so much wasted effort.

Many beavers in the slough.

Misses today included Pied-billed Grebe, Spotted Sandpiper, Red-tailed
Hawk, Cliff Swallow, and Red-winged Blackbird.

For the day, 57 species.

Starting next week, our starting time is moving to a slightly more
reasonable 6:00 a.m.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm