[Tweeters] Where have all the Swallows gone?

Ted Ryan via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 22 14:15:22 PDT 2024

We have lived in the same house in Port Orchard now for 6+ years and if anything the swallow numbers are up. The big difference for us is likely habitat since we are in a fairly rural environment with houses about every five acres. At peak swallow numbers mid-May into June we'll have dozens of violet green and barn swallows feeding on insects over our yard. We have a fair amount of garden areas on our property of both the vegetable/fruit type as well as flowers. I suspect we produce more insects per acre than your average lawned yard.

The past two years we have seen and heard Purple Martins in more numbers than when we moved into the house in 2018.

Ted Ryan
Port Orchard, WA