[Tweeters] Where have all the Swallows gone?

HAL MICHAEL via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 22 11:18:36 PDT 2024

First, isn't this a Peter, Paul, and Mary Tune?

Where we have lived , swallows have been in decline for a long time. In the early 90s we had Barn Swallows nesting on our front porch and in the barn. After a few years, all gone.

We had Trees and Violet Greens that nested in boxes all through the yard and pasture. Gone by about 2010. At our new place, admittedly on saltwater, we have the occasional flyby and the nest boxes looked at once in 8 years.

I would echo Dennis and not put, at least for our personal situation, the blame on House Sparrows. We had few at the old house and none here. One year, they used a nest box after the swallows. In one year, they did destroy a swallow nest. They only nested in the boxes one other year out of about 25.

Perhaps the problem is on the wintering grounds.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors, Ecologists Without Borders http://ecowb.org/
Olympia WA
360-459-4005