[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 7/17/2024

Shep Thorp via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Sun Jul 21 08:03:55 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets,

Approximately 35 of us had a relatively cool day at the Refuge with
overcast skies in the morning, sunny skies in the afternoon and
Temperatures in the 60's-80's degrees Fahrenheit. There was a Low -0'4"
Tide at 9:24am, so we did our routine walk. Highlights included a good
diversity of juvenile species with observation of WOOD DUCK, YELLOW
WARBLER, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, DOWNY WOODPECKER, AMERICAN ROBIN, COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, BARN SWALLOW, TREE SWALLOW, CINNAMON TEAL, BLUE-WINGED TEAL,
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and BALD EAGLE, a few nice sightings of WILSON
WARBLER on the Twin Barns Loop Trail, and breeding plumage LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER and GREATER YELLOWLEGS on the Nisqually Estuary Trail.

For the day we observed close to 70 species and did not see anything new
for the year. See our eBird report pasted below with photos embedded. We
struggled to distinguish juvenile Cinnamon Teal from Blue-winged Teal.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am, happy birding.
Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jul 17, 2024 6:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Cloudy in the morning, sunny in the
afternoon. Temperatures in the 60’s to 80’s degrees Fahrenheit. A Low-0’4”
Tide at 9:24am. Mammals seen Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern
Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Townsend’s Chipmunk, and Harbor Seal. Others seen
Red-eared Slider, and Pacific Tree Frog. 🐸
70 species (+5 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 65
Wood Duck 16 Visitor Center Pond and Freshwater Marsh.
Blue-winged Teal 1 Freshwater Marsh
Cinnamon Teal 3 Freshwater Marsh
Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal 7
Mallard 100
Hooded Merganser 3 Visitor Center Pond.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4 Entrance Gate
Band-tailed Pigeon 10 Orchard.
Mourning Dove 6 Nisqually River Overlook, and Orchard.
Vaux's Swift 3
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 1
hummingbird sp. 1
Virginia Rail 2
Killdeer 2
Long-billed Dowitcher 9
Greater Yellowlegs 7
Least Sandpiper 36
Ring-billed Gull 185
California Gull 25
Glaucous-winged Gull 4
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 12
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 25
Larus sp. 150
Caspian Tern 4
Brandt's Cormorant 5
Double-crested Cormorant 45
Great Blue Heron 125
Northern Harrier 1 Seen by Sheryl along Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Cooper's Hawk 1 Seen by Steve at Visitor Center Pond Overlook.
Bald Eagle 7 Occupied nest McAllister Hill West Bank of McAllister
Creek from Puget Sound Observation Platform.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 3
Western Wood-Pewee 6
Willow Flycatcher 3
Western Flycatcher (Pacific-slope) 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Steller's Jay 2
California Scrub-Jay 1
American Crow 8
Black-capped Chickadee 8
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2
Bank Swallow 6 Counted 1x1, possible more.
Tree Swallow 12
Violet-green Swallow 2
Purple Martin 9
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 4