[Tweeters] Eurasian Kestrel nesting

Robert O'Brien via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 19 10:11:04 PDT 2024

More info on the 1999 Eurasian Kestrel on the Samish Flats. My photo
submission was automatically flagged by the eBird system,
apparently because I listed the area we drove to find the bird (about 10
miles) rather than the area we found it in. I can still edit the
submission but it is not visible to others. I have reduced the area to 1
mile and 2 acres where we found the kestrel and will see what happens
next.
It is my understanding that the only way to get a photo into the Macaulay
Library is through submitting an eBird checklist. In this case flagged
for human reviewer attention.
Here is some info from the eBird that describes how this works.

*My observation is flagged, what happens next?*

An unusual or "flagged" observation will not appear publicly until a volunteer
eBird reviewer
<https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000795278-the-ebird-data-quality-and-review-process?_gl=1*99rw7q*_gcl_au*NDQzMjU1NTg0LjE3MjE0MDc0MzI.*_ga*MTkwNzcwNDY4LjE3MjE0MDc0MzI.*_ga_QR4NVXZ8BM*MTcyMTQwNzQzMy4xLjEuMTcyMTQwNzc5My42MC4wLjA.&_ga=2.25912634.682794232.1721407432-190770468.1721407432#anchorVolunteerReviewers>
has
evaluated it. They will use any documentation you provide - such as written
comments, photos, or recordings - to make their decision. *If you do not
provide sufficient evidence, you may be asked for more details before your
observation can become public! *

Reviewers evaluate each record and determine whether it has enough
supporting information to be part of the public database ('Accepted'). If
there is not enough supporting documentation, an observation is
'Unconfirmed' and will only be visible to the eBirder(s) who reported it.

*Records that are flagged by the automated filters appear in a queue for
that region, such as the example below:*

*[image: eBird Review queue]*
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/48100799466/original/_yglnT_nkf_LpqFHnUEyk94Yhh4l5EQwYA.png?1619618411>

*Processing records in this queue can take just a few seconds if an
observation is well documented with detailed notes, photos, and/or
recordings.*

*The review queue can be organized in different ways, but the default
sorting puts the newest records at the top. In some cases, this results in
older records waiting a while to be reviewed. A record will never be (sic)
leave the review queue until it has been acted on, but for older records or
historical data, this can take longer. We appreciate your patience! *

>>> https://www.facebook.com/reel/1541454176750965?fs=e&s=cl&mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

>>> Dennis Paulson

>>> Seattle