[Tweeters] Calling Barred Owls

Jenny Easterberg via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 16 20:31:55 PDT 2024

I love seeing these owls in our area, all owls really. They are such neat
little birds.

My thoughts on what I've read regarding the proposed culling of
450,000-500,000 barred owls:
It is treating the symptom, rather than the disease. Yes, they have moved
to new areas where there used to be Spotted Owls. However, deforestation
and logging of old growth has pushed the spotted owl to a much narrower
habitat range. Therefore, culling the barred owls won't necessarily help.
Protecting old growth forests is at the root of the issue and that is what
needs to be addressed first and foremost. It is similar to the countless
wolf packs that were decimated in Alaska; it did nothing to bring back the
caribou. Climate change is the culprit of the loss of caribou and therefore
that is what should have been treated in that situation rather than
destroying the wolf packs. Moral of the story, treat the disease, not the
symptom.

Sincerely,
Jenny