[Tweeters] Calling Barred Owls

Joshua Hayes via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:16:32 PDT 2024

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Former academic ecologist here, and I'll confirm Dennis's notes on the distinction between invasive and expanding range. We have a resident barred owl in our tiny little park here in Licton Springs (my son has an eerie ability to find it during the day; probably just his 27-year-old eyes compared to my 63-year-old ones). I'd also note that we have at least occasional saw-whet owls over on the North Seattle College campus, something I'd have been dubious about except that that same son recovered a dead saw-whet over there in the last couple of years, which we then donated to the Burke. But I've never heard a screech owl in Seattle, it's true.

Josh Hayes
Joshuaahayes at proton.me