[Tweeters] When Merlin Won't "Hear"

Jerry Tangren via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 9 14:07:35 PDT 2024

Merlin has an obvious problem on my iPhone, especially after a period of sustained use, 20 minutes or so. It becomes mostly deaf, but not entirely.

My guess is that it’s associated with memory use. The iPhone dynamically assigns memory to Merlin while the app is running. It appears that after time, Merlin is floundering in its memory use.

It appears that if you close Merlin, the iPhone or the app is able to recycle the wasted memory. If you then open Merlin it can again id bird sounds. I’m not sure how long the process takes, but it’s at least a few minutes.

I first noticed it this last May when we were birding Cuyahoga National Park near Cleveland. We are less familiar with the eastern birds so for periods of time we just left it running. It detected a remarkable number of species we might have otherwise ignored.
However, we did not count the species unless we could confirm them ourselves.

If you’re interested my trip list is on eBird at

https://ebird.org/tripreport/232830

--Jerry Tangren, Kloshe Woods
East Wenatchee, WA