[Tweeters] Monopod recommendations

Jim Betz via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:41:33 PDT 2024

Richard,

  I have a couple - and neither gets used as much as I expected. The
last one I

bought and my preferred monopod is the Sirui P-236.  And it is my car at all

times "waiting for the call".  HOWEVER ...

  My bottom line for what I will do/carry around with me all the time is

that, for me, my mode of birding/bird photography is "walking around"
and so I

have been experimenting more with shutter speed - and hand held. I have a

fairly light setup (Canon R7 + RF 100-400 + 1.4 extender) which gives me
a range

of 140mm to 560mm (not including the crop factor adjustment).  I have it all

set up for AF with IS and with 3 custom modes for different shutter speeds

(all auto ISO and shutter preferred).  The speeds I'm using now are 1/200,

1/500, and 1/2000.  I use 1/200 when the bird is perched, 1/2000 for birds

in flight, and 1/500 for things like a bird that is walking or a seabird
that is

sitting on the water and rising and falling with the swell.  Yes, I
loose about a

third of the shots I shoot at 1/200.  I did several days (birding trips)
that

were dedicated to seeing how the shutter speed changes worked (for me

with my camera/setup).  I've been using these 3 program modes now for

about a month without changing any of them - but I still am open to

making a change ... when I discover something better.

  My standard approach is to carry the camera set up for 1/2000, take an

initial shot/shots at that speed and then slow the shutter speed down for

a lower ISO which results in better detail.

  If I had a gimbal mount on my monopod - or if I decide it is time to do

video instead of stills - then the Sirui would come out of the car a lot
more

often than it does now.  I didn't like the way it is so sensitive with
respect

to "tilt" ... it is often simply less stable than hand held.

- Jim