[Tweeters] Upping my game (sound ID)

George Miller via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 9 10:12:33 PDT 2024

Jim,
I’d like to offer some advice:
When you go birding, try not to spend your time in your phone. Merlin is a
good tool but it’s not as good as your mind.
Spend as much time as you can in the field paying full attention to
everything you see and hear. Don’t worry about identifying everything, but
be super curious. Keep a notebook in your car and write down sightings,
questions that came to mind, notes about the weather, other wildlife seen,
etc. When you get back home, get on your phone or computer and find the
answers to your questions.
What you are doing here is building up your birding database, which will
serve you well for the rest of your life. It takes time, so have patience
and enjoy!
Regards,
George Miller
Longview