[Tweeters] Fireworks, Motion - and birds ... ?

HAL MICHAEL via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 6 13:23:37 PDT 2024

I think responses to noise, human presence, and such is species and individual specific. Just returned from 3 weeks in Kenya, which was our fourth trip to the Continent. On safari, one of the primary rules is stay in the vehicles. Nothing has seemed to give a rip about our presence except for a bull elephant or two. One lioness was surprised when she looked up and saw us about 5m away. The birds similarly tended to appear to ignore us unless the vehicle almost hit them.

Having hunted deer a lot I have been within 10' of some with no issues and had some run when I was 100 yards away. I have seen deer walk across an active rifle range; just ambled through.

I think it has to do a lot with what the individual perceives as natural threats and experience with humans. I think, as Dennis says, a calm approach and slow movement probably does a lot to not scaring them.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors,Ecologists Without Borders (http://ecowb.org/)
Olympia WA
360-459-4005