[Tweeters] Fireworks, Motion - and birds ... ?

Jim Betz via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 6 09:55:15 PDT 2024

Hi all,

  I did not see much change, if any at all, in the presence of birds at
our feeders

(seed and hummer) on the morning after the 4th (the 5th).  And the same is

true today.

  I'm guessing - and would like confirmation - that unless the
fireworks are very

close to the bird (roosting/other) that they pretty much don't notice.

  As an overall observation - in terms of birds flushing what I've
noticed is that

sound and color of clothing make very little difference - and it is
motion that is

the most important.  With motion that is either fast-and-big (waving
your arms) or

in the direction of the birds (getting closer) ... that matters the
most.  If I move

slowly or away from the birds at my feeder/in the field - they seem to
not flush.

Additionally, each species seems to have its own comfort zone - in fact
what I've

noticed is that if I have a particular lens on my camera, most of the
time, the

size of the image of the bird on the camera is pretty much the same ... no

matter which species it is.

  Individual birds within a species can vary a LOT - the above are
"rules of

thumb".

                                                           - Jim