[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 7/3/2024

Shep Thorp via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 5 10:27:42 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets!

Approximately 35 of us had a really fun Summer day at the Refuge with
overcast skies in the morning and sunny skies in the afternoon and
temperatures in the 60's to 80's degrees Fahrenheit. There was a Low -2'5"
Tide at 10:27am. Highlights included Long-tailed Weasel adult and 2 young
in the Orchard, Coyote pup along the entrance road, good numbers and
diversity of birds with many juveniles, WILLOW FLYCATCHER at the Twin Barns
Overlook, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER in the freshwater marsh, WHIMBREL on the
mudflats adjacent to Shannon Slough, and River Otter at the Visitor Center
Pond Overlook.

For the day we observed 62 species, no firsts of year, we have observed 156
species this year. See eBird report below, photos embedded.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am at the Visitor Center Pond
Overlook, happy birding.

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jul 3, 2024 6:44 AM - 4:52 PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.952 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Overcast in the morning, sunny in
the afternoon, temperatures in the 50’s to 80’s degrees Fahrenheit. A Low
-2’5” Tide at 10:27am. Mammals seen Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit,
Townsend’s Chipmunk, Long-tailed Weasel, Coyote, Columbian Black-tailed
Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Townsend’s Vole, Harbor Seal and River Otter.
Others seen Pacific Tree Frog, and American Bullfrog.
62 species (+4 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 40
Wood Duck 14
Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal 1
Mallard 20
Hooded Merganser 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 2
Band-tailed Pigeon 10
Mourning Dove 2
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 2
Virginia Rail 3
Killdeer 1
Whimbrel 1 Photo. Large shorebird with long decurved bill and stripes
on head. Grayish breast and belly. Observed foraging on mud flats from 100
yards with 60x spotting scope.
Long-billed Dowitcher 2
Wilson's Snipe 4
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Ring-billed Gull 200
California Gull 40
Glaucous-winged Gull 10
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 10
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 20
Caspian Tern 40
Brandt's Cormorant 3
Double-crested Cormorant 30
Great Blue Heron 85
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 25 West Bank of McAllister Creek across from Puget Sound
Observation Platform.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1