[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - February 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 08:15:27 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets:

With February additions we have reach 115 species for our 2023 year list. In taxonomic order, the new species are:

Cackling Goose (code 3), Edmonds Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 2-18-23

California Scrub-Jay (code 4), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 2-25-23

Barn Swallow (code 1), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 2-3-23

Purple Finch (code 3), 2 in north Edmonds, 2-16-23

Savannah Sparrow (code 2), 1 on marina breakwater, 2-7-23

Other activity: There was a second Northern Shrike (code 3) sighting, this time at Edmonds marsh on 2-1-23. There was another Townsend’s Solitaire in the vicinity of 6th & Elm, seen on 2-12 and 2-14-23.

There were several reports of Herring Gull (code 4) along the waterfront. None was supported with any evidence for this rarity—neither description nor photo. We will not be adding this species to our year list based on these eBird checklist ticks.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field for unusual Edmonds birds, it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through February.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records