[Tweeters] Window strike preventions

Josh Morris joshm at seattleaudubon.org
Fri Mar 17 10:24:07 PDT 2023

Glad to hear the mylar ribbons are helping.

I’ve heard from wildlife rehabbers that the majority of birds that strike windows at speed will likely die, even if they appear to recover from the initial impact and fly off.

They’ve asked me to imagine running headfirst into a concrete wall at 20 miles per hour. They tell me I might survive and stagger off, but that I’d likely have major internal injuries and would be impaired in my ability to find food or escape predation.

Collisions are a major source of human-related bird mortality. Even if we’re not finding carcasses under our windows, it’s still important to make windows safe for birds, especially if we have feeders up or are intentionally gardening for birds. Feeders and vegetation are major contributing factors to collision risk.

I encourage folks to report bird-window collisions, even non-fatal collisions, at https://dBird.org. Most research on bird window collisions has occurred east of the Mississippi. Documenting collisions at dBird helps us understand what’s happening locally.

Here’s some more info from Seattle Audubon: https://seattleaudubon.org/our-work/conservation/urban-conservation/bird-safe-cities/preventing-bird-window-collisions/

Josh