[Tweeters] Bald Eagles Wade in the Water

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 19:05:30 PST 2023

This past Saturday afternoon at Dash Point State Park I observed a juvenile Bald Eagle sitting in an alder about 15 feet above the shoreline. It was eating a fish it had caught in Puget Sound. It spent about 30 minutes devouring lunch and then hopped down to the shoreline and waded into the six to eight inch deep water. It came within about 20 feet or me, then flew about 50 feet north and sat down in the shallow water again. I guess this is normal behavior for eagles, but before that day I had never observed it.

Interestingly, about 30 minutes later, when I was surveying Dumas Bay Sanctuary I discovered another, different, juvenile BAEA wading along the shoreline in the same manner. The 200+ Surf Scoters and Barrow’s Goldeneye were very nervous and kept their distance.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA