birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 9 13:06:41 PST 2023

Tweets - It was below freezing when we began at 6:30 this morning and it took its time warming up.  But it really wasn't too bad; no wind or precipitation, no fog, some light though the clouds darkened during the morning.  We had our first real Dawn Chorus of the year, and it was really birdy until we got to the Lake Platform.  From there on, it was rather quiet.

Highlights:
    Cackling Goose - down to just a couple of really small flocks - maybe 25 total
    Canada Goose - pair sitting on top of the Osprey nest platform - some did this last year, but gave up when the Osprey returned
    Wood Duck - three males in slough near the Lake Platform
    Horned Grebe - two seen on a late scan of the lake
    Great Blue Heron - over 80 birds at the heronry, with nest building/renovations underway
    Red-breasted Sapsucker - at least two birds, First of Spring (FOS) for the survey
    FIVE WOODPECKER DAY - all five common woodpecker species SEEN today
    Chestnut-backed Chickadee - notably numerous and widespread; more seen than Black-capped
    Ruby-crowned Kinglet - notably numerous, with many singing
    Varied Thrush - probably at least three
    Purple Finch - at least three, with two of them singing full songs
    Western Meadowlark - one on Fields 7-8-9, only our 2nd record of the year (previous was in January)

Singing/displaying/drumming birds included Ring-necked Pheasant, Anna's Hummingbird, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Black-capped Chickadee, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Marsh Wren, Bewick's Wren, Varied Thrush, American Robin, Purple Finch, Golden-crowned Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Spotted Towhee, and Red-winged Blackbird

Misses today included Short-billed Gull, Cooper's Hawk, Northern Shrike, Tree Swallow, Bushtit (though may have heard some), House Finch, and Pine Siskin.

For the day, 54 species plus the Ring-necked Pheasant.

In the next two weeks we should have Band-tailed Pigeon, Turkey Vulture, Say's Phoebe, Hutton's Vireo, Tree and Violet-green Swallows, Mountain Bluebird, and Savannah Sparrow either arriving back or passing through.  Can't wait.

= Michael Hobbs