[Tweeters] FOY Band-tailed Pigeon

mary hrudkaj mch1096 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 07:09:30 PST 2023

Back on 2008 two researchers from the USGS working out of UC Davis, CA came to western WA to put satellite transmitters of flocks of Band-tailed Pigeons from 4 areas around Puget Sound to track their migration to California in hopes of identifying over-wintering areas for future protection. My flock (3 males banded and tagged) were tracked to the NW area of California. Others went further south to inland areas north of San Francisco. These birds migrated south pretty much following I5 while the flock from my place went out to the coast then followed the coast down to the mountains if NW CA. Even they had no idea why some flocks migrated while others didn't. Perhaps smaller flocks have enough resources in their local areas to support them throughout the winter while larger flocks (mine when it's time to head south again is usually 80 to 90 birds) need larger foraging areas.

It was a joy the following spring after banding/tagging to see one male show up on my deck with its flock. The tagging program allowed people to follow the birds' migrations and over-wintering via the internet. Two of the tagged birds went off-line, one during SB migration and the other during the winter in CA. The satellite transmitters were held on by silk ribbon designed to fall off within about 2 years and they did not inhibit flight or other behavior. Except possible the females wonder that wondered who this tagged male bird was going around sporting a 6-7 inch antenna out of its back.

Happy birding.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya