[Tweeters] Skagit County - Report #2

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Jan 25 20:30:37 PST 2023

Hi,

I went on another survey trip today. Started in the Skagit Flats,
went to Fir Island, back to a different section of the Skagit flats,
then on to the Samish Flats. We can see the Butler Flats from our
house so I'll report the current situation there as well. One
area I did not get to today was Bayview/Padilla Bay and/or Marches
Point.

Snows - there were moderate numbers of snows ... everywhere ... in
small groups of 300-500 and one larger group on Fir Island.
More than just 10 days but not what I remember. More coming
in? I hope.
Swans - everywhere. And in larger quantities than previous years.
Usually in groups of 50 to 200 or so. A few loners or 2 or
3 birds by themselves.

Eagles - there were far more eagles than just 10 days ago. Several
pairs near nests (staking a claim?). In fact that was the
most common sighting for adult. There were a -lot- of
younger birds (usually all dark, no white at all) and they
are large. Did not see more than one or two that were
smaller.

Raptors other than eagles - a normal amount of harriers, red-tails,
and such. No notable 'special' (different).

Owls - did not see any this trip. But I was even earlier in the
day than last time.

Corvids - small groups of crows in several places. Did not see a
raven (unless I missed it).

Blackbirds - lots of the ones that I -think- are Brewer's (an all
over brownish black color). Didn't see or hear any
red-wings.

Passerines - lots of sparrows, fiches, and gobs of Juncos. A few
Twohees, no robins. Did not id any waxwings or
thrushes.

Hummers - still seeing a few Anna's (especially here in our yard).

Ducks and geese (not Snows) - lots of mallards, no other kinds.
Almost every swan group had a few
mallards near by.

Merganser? - saw one bird that was probably a merganser in one of
the sloughs on Fir Island. Long neck and bill - dove
to quickly for me to get a good id.

So ... that's this weeks survey.
- Jim