[Tweeters] Scout Trip update: Waterville Plateau, Conconully, Riverside cut-off, Cameron Lake Road, Washburn Island

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 20:50:10 PST 2023

Hi Tweets,

Scott Ramos and I are scouting for our upcoming WOS Winter Trip to the
Okanogan Highlands and Waterville Plateau. On Friday we birded Rocky Ford
Fish Hatchery and the east side of the Waterville Plateau. Today,
Saturday, we birded Conconully, and Cameron Lake Road.

Rocky Ford: Sora, Virginia Rail, American White Pelicans and both
Goldeneyes.

Atkins Lake area and SE Waterville Plateau. Numerous Rough-legged Hawk,
but it was very foggy Friday and we did not see Snowy Owl. One has been
reported in the area.

NE Plateau: Roughies, Golden Eagle and Northern Shrike.

Bridgeport SP: heard Great Horned Owl, could not locate Northern Saw-whet
Owl.

Conconully: Townsend's Solitaire near the Post Office, 50+ Clarks
Nutcrackers on Sinlahekin Road along Conconully Lake.

Riverside Cut-off: Cukar and Canyon Wren at the Butte. A deer carcass on
the south side of the road 1/4 mile up the road from 97 attracted two
Golden Eagles.

Timentwa Road/Cattle Ranch off Cameron Lake Road: 19 Gray Partridge at
cattle scraping and numerous Horned Lark. The road is plowed through on
Cameron Lake Road.

Truck Scales/jxn of 97 and 17: just north and west of highway 97 where
cattle are being kept in paddock, we observed 16 Bohemian Waxwings with 50
Cedar Waxwings in Birch Trees near homestead.

Washburn Island: numerous sparrows and waterfowl, nice looks of Canvasback.

The Breadline is currently open Tuesday-Friday. They are now closed on
Saturdays.

That's all for now, happy birding.
Shep

--