[Tweeters] Nice job, Klickitat but. . . :D

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:15:10 PST 2023

There was a question about Klickitat County's big total this year.

Having focused(ish) on Klickitat last year, I gasped at what seemed like a slight on the total they rang up! I mean, Klickitat and I are technically separated now, but there's still feelings. Haha. But to answer the question of how much padding was just from Oregon birds slopping over into Washington: 2? Red-shouldered Hawk is definitely an Oregon spillover, and Acorn Woodpeckers have been down there forever (and were counted in 9 counties in the state this last year!).

I think the year they had down there was a combination of a few things. The biggest one has been better compiling/reporting, so kudos to Sam Holman, not only for finding so many dang birds down there this year, but for stepping in compiling. It really helps people better understand how many birds come through Klickitat.

They get west and east side birds, they almost​ get some elevation, have some sage habitat that has been getting more attention in the last few years. And the shorebirds/seabirds/gulls that people skillfully picked out this year. . . I don't know if the Arctic Tern, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Red Phalarope, and Brown Pelican were on loan from Oregon or other parts, but again - lots of good birders were out there finding good birds. (For clarity, I don't think I added a single​ bird to that county year list. 😄)

Cheers!

Tim Brennan
Renton