[Tweeters] Skagit County - Samish Flats and Fir Island Report ...

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun Jan 15 13:36:20 PST 2023

Hello fellow Tweets!

I went out "birding" yesterday. Went to the Samish Flats first and then to
Fir Island. The overall birding count was "less than average". I did get
to see a Bald Eagle with a kill on top of a pole (Fir Island), a Rough-Legged
(Samish Flats), and a Short-eared Owl (East 90).

I didn't take my binos nor my camera - this was a "survey the area" trip.

The East 90 was -very- crowded ... somewhere between 3 and 5 birders for
all birds of any species (not counting gulls or mallards).

I saw almost no ducks other than mallards (drakes and hens).

There is a tree near the junction of Moore and Polson on Fir that I once
saw 6 eagles and it has ever since been referred to as "The 6 Eagle Tree".
It has a large eagle nest in it ... that I swear wasn't there last winter.
All of the eagles nests in the area seem to be doing well - no occupants
right now (good weather and too early) but all in good condition and
ready for a family. This includes the one nears the West 90, where I-5
crosses the Skagit, the two on Old 99 just North of Burlington, the one
in the tree near the mouth of the Samish, the ones on Fir Island along
Skagit City Road, ... etc., etc., etc.

Wylie Slough continues to be 'desolate' due to the "work" done there
this past year by the DFW. It seems that the primary reason for the
work - removal of 'foreign cattails' - has failed miserably. I'm seeing
lots of new cattails coming up everywhere ... and they seem to be the
same species they were trying to remove. *Sigh*. Am I the only one
who thinks that -every- time we humans try to "manage" wild life
resources we just screw it up?

Our new all native plants backyard is "in and active". The
passerines seem to like it and it shows great promise for the spring.
One thing we did not expect was the popularity of the water feature.
We've seen lots of towhees, sparrows, juncos, and finches ... and it
is even being used for both drinking and bathing by an Anna's.
- Jim in Skagit