Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 09:11:07 PST 2023

Tweets - I tried sending this twice yesterday, but it was returned as
probable spam ??? This is yesterday's report:

Tweets - Yet again, the forecast was far worse than conditions on the
ground. We had, at worst, a little mizzle this morning, with only 5
minutes of light rain at 10:45 and again at the end of the walk while we
were at the Rowing Club. Matt did report that it was both windy and rainy
pre-dawn, but that had let up by 7:15. It was even pretty birdy for the
first hour-and-a-half, before reverting back to the vacant birdlessness
we've had for much of the last several weeks.

Highlights:

- Ring-necked Duck - Pair just off the Lake Platform. First of Year
(FOY)
- Anna's Hummingbird - Several, including males singing, posing
dramatically, and chasing each other
- Wilson's Snipe - One east of the East Meadow (FOY)
- Cooper's Hawk - Definite looks at one below the weir (FOY)
- Downy Woodpecker - One just south of the heronry, obscurely hidden
near the top of a cottonwood (FOY)
- Northern Shrike - One in the East Meadow, and later north of Fields
7,8,9. (FOY)
- Bushtit - Flock that seemed to follow us up the slough (FOY)
- Purple Finch - Matt and I had one bird, singing a vireo-like song,
southeast of the mansion. It was our ONLY FINCH today (FOY)
- White-crowned Sparrow - One gambelii singing in the Pea Patch, a few
more seen

We also had RIVER OTTERS in the slough again.

Misses today included Hooded Merganser, Short-billed and Ring-billed Gulls
(but we did have a flock of flying black wing-tipped gulls that were almost
certainly some mix of these), Red-tailed Hawk, and HOUSE FINCH.

For the day, 47 species plus "black wing-tipped gull(s)".

= Michael Hobbs