[Tweeters] African Collared-Dove, Eurasian, albinism, variation

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:43:25 PST 2023

Having our yard visited New Year's Day by a Collared-Dove with lots of
bright white on the underside from the legs back, I've dipped into
distinguishing between African and Eurasian Collared-Doves. In a nutshell,
it seems the completely white outer webs of the outermost tail feathers is
key. So far I've found one helpful article with illustrations and photos
and discussion:

https://thecottonwoodpost.net/2018/11/01/why-are-so-many-eurasian-collared-doves-leucistic/comment-page-1/

I hope to get good photographs of our latest special visitor one of these
days. Weather and the skittishness of the collared-doves has prevented that
so far.

Carefully observing doves in our yard and looking at individual feathers of
birds have provided me with enjoyment for years, and have paid off with the
bonus of finding two rarities and one federally banded Mourning Dove at our
feeders.

I know of an accepted record, with photos, of an African Collared-Dove by
several duly respected power birders at Neah Bay.
African Collared-Dove (Domestic type or Ringed Turtle-Dove)Streptopelia
roseogrisea (Domestic type)
https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S45086865
I've not looked into whether there are other reports.

Good Birding,
https://www.aba.org/aba-code-of-birding-ethics/
Kevin Lucas
Yakima County, WA