[Tweeters] bird seed at Costco (Dennis Paulson)

dcsimonsen at comcast.net dcsimonsen at comcast.net
Mon Jan 2 12:57:05 PST 2023

We get our seed at the same local Skagit County business that Jim mentions.
They have a good variety of seed blends to choose from. Once upon a time,
thinking to save some money, we tried the brand carried at the Burlington
Costco. That brand turned out to be mostly white millet. Nothing wrong
with it, except that the sunflower-seed-loving birds would scatter most of
the millet on the ground while excavating to get to the bits they preferred.
There was so much spillage that we were refilling the feeder much more
often, attracting rodents, and in the end didn't save any money. We went
back to using the "Skagit #4 Best" seed mix at Skagit Wild Bird Supply,
which has a much higher percentage of black oil sunflower seeds, sunflower
chips and diced peanuts. It costs about 75% more up front than the Costco
brand, but a bag lasts much longer and leaves less spillage on the ground,
while bringing more birds to the feeder. So we consider the more expensive
seed mix to be the better investment.

Doug Simonsen

Dennis,

I buy my bird seed at Skagit Wild Bird Supply in Mt. Vernon.

It is close to me, essentially on my way to 2/3rds of my local birding
locations, and the people there are both knowledgeable and friendly. Does
it cost more than Costco? TBH I don't know because I've never priced it at
Costco ... but probably is less.

Is bird seed something I budget? No. Is it expensive? I buy it for the
birds ... not sure how to put a monetary value on that. *G*

- Jim in Skagit County